Nerd Fitness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

2 posters

The Goal - A Shipwrecked Journey

Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

The Goal - A Shipwrecked Journey Empty The Goal - A Shipwrecked Journey

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 pm

I've decided to give myself three ultimate goals, which I think are specific and achievable. It's very hard for me to give myself a timeframe, with just Point A and Point B to deal with. I could throw some points in the middle, but when (not if) I miss one, I'm going to get discouraged. My rate of progress is largely dependent on what life throws at me with regards to family, finances, and health (and trust me, all three are interconnected).

But I need goals.

1.) I want to weigh less than 250 lbs.
    • Achievability Factor - 100%
    • Time Allowed - One Year (July 31st, 2010)
    • Methods - Diet and Exercise

2.) I want to compete in a sanctioned MMA fight.

The way I figure it, just getting to Goal #2 will turn my life completely around. It's been a goal of mine for just about ever, since going to kumite tourneys back in the 90s. Kumite is fun, but it's not 'real fighting' (begin argument.... now!) I know I can fight. I've always (since my Sempei days, at least) been confident in my abilities as a fighter. At long last, the venue for me to explore this has arrived.

This thread will be about my progress towards these goals. I have a heavybag in my basement, and I want to start whaling on it again. I want to return to conditioning my body not just for fitness, but for combat. I want to regain my old speed and flexibility (which was described once as, for a person of my size, 'remarkable'). This thread will also be about my ways to stay motivated. I will try and limit myself to one item per day or two, and go into exhaustive detail about it, reliving my glory days of awesomeness*.

*Awesomeness in the hindsight mirror may be less awesome than it appears.

Day 41 - Shut up, I'm not changing my numbering scheme at this point!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the day, at my peak, I could do full-on splits. Not just both-feet-on-the-floor until you hear the 'crack' of a cup striking the ground, but at my peak, I could get one foot up on a bench, and suspend. Kyrose here met me about five years after the last time I did THAT, and I don't doubt his mind boggles at the very idea of someone my size doing that. I couldn't do it for very long, and I sometimes got a twinge in my muscles for a day or two after, but dammit, I could do it. It took twenty minutes of warmup, but dammit, I could do it. And I want to do it again.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

The Goal - A Shipwrecked Journey Empty Re: The Goal - A Shipwrecked Journey

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Day 42 - My pockets hurt.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*snnrrkk* I didn't used to get sick nearly as much when I was healthy and active. Strange coincidence, to be sure, and I'm sure without a shred of empirical non-anecdotal evidence to back it up. *cough*

Day 43 - And not just because I'm sick...

I didn't get nearly as winded by exertion, especially running and kicking. The limiting factor now with stuff like that is not getting tired, or sore, or sweaty... it's my lungs being unable to keep up with the supply and demand.

Day 44 - Fewer moshing injuries.

My legs and back and neck were sore for three days after the concert, because I wasn't used to that sort of exertion, for that long. Thanks to the alcohol and various other substances, I was immune to the detrimental effects until early Friday, when they all ganged up on me. My neck is still sore. I used to be "Hip Throw Uki" for two hours twice a week without so much as a twinge.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Day 45 - Getting better, I think...
    ----------------------------------------

My mind isn't on this 24/7 anymore. Too much time off. Only did 30 pushups yesterday... it just never occurred to me. I didn't do ANY today, because, yeah... didn't occur to me. I need to get better so I can get back onto thinking about it 24/7. I need to get back on the elliptical, it's been two weeks now.
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Dont worry about how long its been. cant guilt yourself thin. Just do what you can when you can, and try to remember as often as possible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content