Nerd Fitness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

2 posters

One of these days...

Kyrose

One of these days... Empty One of these days...

Post  Kyrose Tue May 26, 2009 5:15 pm

My instructor isnt very big on kata. Some instructors swear by it. One man i trained under breifly while in New Zealand went as far as saying "Kata is the only karate training really worth doing, the rest is just filler used by less skilled instructors". I didnt go back to his class after that.

But that said, I wish that we would get more into kata with my current group for one specific reason. The pool. I cant imagine a better way to train, both technique and strength than performing kata while in neck deep water. The added resistance, the presure on your lungs, the way it forces you to move slower, and think about each movement. It seems perfect to me.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

One of these days... Empty Re: One of these days...

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 pm

You can just 'make up' your own kata, really. Sure, there's lots of forms that we used to do in class ( I can STILL do one of them almost entirely from memory!) but they're really just a list of moves, in order. Make up your owns make up reasons and progressions to flow from one technique to the next, and then master it yourself.
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Tue May 26, 2009 5:24 pm

Yes i could allways just do that. But i'd prefer to have it as one of the pre-programed ones that he keeps meaning to show us as i beleive he wants them to be part of grading, but gets distracted by "coffee break" material. Not that i really mind the coffee break stuff Razz

Might end up just throwing together an orange belt review

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:08 pm