Nerd Fitness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

2 posters

The Pullup

Kyrose

The Pullup Empty The Pullup

Post  Kyrose Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 pm

The pullup is one of the most important exercises you can do. Targeting mostly your biceps and upper back, They also work well to develop your grip, shoulders, and if you choose to, abs.

The exercise can seem difficult, even impossible if you've never done them before. Luckily there are steps you can take to make it easier on yourself, and build up to full pulls. If your able to touch your feet to the floor, you can use your legs to help, while concentrating on doing as much of the lifting with your arms and back as possible. You could do negatives, starting at the top, and trying to lower yourself as slowly as possible. Be creative, but allways be sure to challenge yourself.

Once you are able to perform pullups, there are many differant styles you can try. Pullups your palms face away from you. Chinups they face towards you. You could try a neutral grip, with palms facing each other. You can pull yourself up to 1/2way with a wide grip, and type-writer between your hands. Want a stronger grip? Hang some towels, or even socks over your bar, and hold onto the portion that is hanging. Doing over 20 reps per set? Try going one handed.

Only able to do 1? Thats fine. do that 1 pull 10 times over the day. you'll be doing 2 withing a few days, then 3 then 4...
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

The Pullup Empty Re: The Pullup

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Thu May 21, 2009 6:39 pm

The one thing I need is a place to do it. There's not much with the appropriate type of hand-hold that can support my weight, and is at the right height.
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Thu May 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Have any unfinished space in your basement? Somewhere with access to floor joists or a beam? Perfect mounting point.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Just a length of steel pipe and some chain? Seems wobbly.
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Wobbly is good, makes you work harder. So long as its bolted in nice and tight, and you have space to fit your head above the bar your good to go. If i had access to a space like i described, i'd not even bother with the bar, and just set up rings instead.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am