Nerd Fitness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best six doctors anywhere And no one can deny it Are sunshine, water, rest, and air Exercise and diet. These six will gladly you attend If only you are willing Your mind they'll ease Your will they'll mend And charge you not a shilling.

2 posters

Jamie Oliver

Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Jamie Oliver Empty Jamie Oliver

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:57 am

I love this guy. Just saying. It needs to be said.

Currently watching Jamie's Eat To Live. In metaphorical terms, he's taking 20 average Brits, and beating them the fuck over the head with science and nutrition. He put one girl in a tub, and poured in how much fat she was eating per year over and above her RDI, and it overflowed the tub. One lady started crying when she found out that, given her age and weight and diet, she likely had 7 years to live, statistically.

I don't agree with how he says "The Body Mass Index will tell is PRECISELY what your risks are." No, the Body Mass Index will give the most basic, rudimentary guidelines, and is generally unreliable, and you should know that (but since Jamie's mission in life is to cajole, coerce, and basically terrify people into eating healthy, he can be forgiven.)

I can see why he was voted one of the Least Popular Brits a few years ago: he can be a jerk, but as a Canadian, I can step back and I can see WHY he's doing it. He's on a pretty impressive mission to take a country with eighty (80!) times the population density of where Kyrose and me live, who subsist almost entirely off of packaged foods since they can't possibly grow all their own (actually, they can, they just don't want to pay for it).

Also, one thing I loved: they were talking about how nearly every cereal and baked good has doubled it's sugar content since 1977, including Special K. Special K in 1977 had half as much sugar as it has now. Then the show went to commercial break, and the SECOND COMMERCIAL was about how Special K will make you thin.

I giggled.
    Kyrose

Jamie Oliver Empty Re: Jamie Oliver

Post  Kyrose Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:14 pm

It allways amazes me when people dont understand why they arnt healthy, but live thier lives from pre-packaged food.

Nutrition is #1 when it comes to basicaly every aspect of your life. If you eat good food and give your body everything it needs, your better able to learn, better able to work, you can run faster and for longer, your stronger, you dont get sick as often (if ever), your less likely to develop health problems as you age, you look better and feel happier. Everything else you do in life is secondary to the food you eat, and His shows allways show this.

Me and CJ were both blown away when he did his "italian escape" thing. How the UK kids couldnt identify basic fruits and vegitables. Then the italian kids, being even younger, could identify all sorts of exotic and rarely used things. HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET ANYWHERE WHEN YOU CANT POINT TO A FREAKING CARROT!!!
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Poppy can identify vegetables while they are still in the ground.

I know, it sounds smug and superior, but I just can't help but think of how awesome it is that my kids spend their weekends on a farm, and get the most insane joy out of picking and immediately eating fresh veggies. They are so much better people than I am.

Now, Jamie At Home is almost a textbook example of how not to eat every day. He makes the most AMAZING-TASTING and AMAZING-LOOKING food imaginable, but if you ate it every day, you'd die fat and happy. It might be all organic, but he drizzles olive oil on EVERYTHING (and by drizzle, I mean dump). He also says that you can't eat like that every day, because it's not sustainable, but just watching that show makes me gain weight.

Every other show he does is basically just exposing people's food ignorance, Borat-style.

"Who can point to a carrot?" *pause* "You're kidding, right?"
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Speaking of shows that make you gain weight while watching... I'm reaching the point where i actually want to kill Guy from the food network. Diners Drivins and Dives is the cruelest show on television. All i can do is sit there in a pool of my own saliva and dream of driving across america, eating all i see until either my heart explodes, or i grow to large to fit in the back of a dumptruck.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

I know *sobs uncontrollably*

Someday when we're in shape (well... ok, when I'm in shape) I can eat like that, and be capable of not gaining weight from it, through dilligent exercise and an improved metabolism.
    Kyrose

Post  Kyrose Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:35 pm

At least thats the dream Razz

Ever notice how in some episodes he looks like, 40lbs lighter than in others? I dont really even want to guess how many calories per day he packed away during filming.
    Shipwrecked Dictator
    Shipwrecked Dictator

Post  Shipwrecked Dictator Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:36 pm

He only has 2 or 3 bites of each item, usually, and with 26 eps per year, he's only eating like that one day out of a given week.

Even so, it can't be easy!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:47 pm